Posted in Blog, Revision progress

Doing another line edit!

Oh gosh, I really am doing another line edit. Remember I said, while checking my eBook for formatting, I discovered a word was missing? Once I investigated the text, I discovered more errors. I thought I had been careful whilst making my text changes and was saving the final read through for after I had sent the eBook to my Kindle App – naively expecting to pick up a dozen errors or less. Apparently, my type-in was not careful enough.

I blame Word – or, more precisely, my ignorance of Word. Over the four or whatever years I’ve been writing The Taverner’s Daughter, I have used yWriter5 and Scrivener software – with a brief foray into Liquid Story Binder. I’ve never used Word for writing until I typed in my handwritten changes after my final round of revision.

I used Word because it was the document type  I had compiled from Scrivener for printing out the manuscript. Seemed logical to use that same document to make the changes. I also thought it would save me time copy and pasting back and forward from Scrivener when it came time to do my grammar check.

Never again!

I think I might have used auto-correct. Also, when I was trying to get the cursor in the right place, I must have been deleting words elsewhere on the screen. I don’t know. I do know my original document before revision probably only had a handful of errors.  All of them were noted in my notes during the first revision pass.

I also used the ‘find and replace’ feature several times and one of those made 118 changes. I changed dragonrider to two words and then back again! And, at some stage, I ended up with a ‘compatibility’ document which, upon saving, warned that it ‘might cause formatting changes’. I still have no idea what that was about and if it did have detrimental results.

The damage is done. I had already copy and pasted all 100+ scenes into my Scrivener file before I realised that I had a problem.

Anyway, I’m halfway through the manuscript with my red pencil.  I had a couple of days were I was incapable of dealing with it. Couldn’t get my head-space right as I was so pissed off with myself for not having Taniel  ready on time.

So, another day or so of proofing, and then typing in, and then formatting the eBook – around work and a birthday party. I’ll give myself a few days to read it through  and then another few to make any necessary corrections to text and format.

I reckon I can put this baby to bed on March 5th!

the-inn-keepers-daughter350

I messed about in Canva and made a brighter cover. I had to put a border around it as the bottom right corner looked odd – like the image was chopped away.

Okay, I better get back to this proofreading! Thanks for reading.

🙂

Author:

I started blogging in an effort to keep the old brain cells alive. I'm writing a fantasy series, I take more MOOCs than I can handle, and am trying to get my Nikon D3000 off auto. I live in Victoria, Australia, with my husband and our dog, Vika.

Tell me what you're thinking.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s