My ‘Summer of Fiction Writing’ Goals
Goal 1: Publish Dragon Sworn
(The Taverner’s Daughter, Book 2)
1st September 2019.
To meet this goal, these are the basic steps I need to take…
- Take 53 drafted scenes from Dragon Sworn (book 2 of The Taverner’s Daughter Series) through Holly’s How To Revise Your Novel. *
- Finalize cover for preorder (I use Canva). Maybe I’ll ask opinions instead of flying solo.
- I’m going to add tremendous pressure on myself by setting up a preorder within the next few days – set to publish 1st September (yes – this year).
- During revision, I’ll convert 15 outlined scenes to draft by the 1st July. Some existing scenes will be merged or cut. I need another 37000+ words to bring it in line with the size of the first book. Any new writing is done by hand – aka the write-in.
- Type final revisions into manuscript – aka the type-in.
- Polish – grammar check, listen to it for stupid stuff, run chapters through AutoCrit.
- Post each scene to Wattpad as soon as ready.
- Send to Beta Readers.
- Attend to any consistent feedback from readers.
- Upload file to KDP.
- Proofread in my reader – make any corrections, upload & read again
- When confident all is well, PRESS PUBLISH!
My reachable deadline is: 27th August 2019 (when I must upload final file to KDP).
My working days are: I will work every day for duration of this project beginning today (4th June 2019).
My method of measuring progress: Keeping track with the ‘Project Work Schedule’ & the ‘Daily Writing Target’ printouts from yWriter5.
My end goal: Finally delivering the book I’ve been promising my readers.
My daily goal, and number of available days: Adding another 37719 words in 27 days (to early July) will take 4 x 10m sprints a day – approx 1397 words daily. The yWriter5 Work Schedule printout has broken up the required triple passing over the manuscript into doable daily actions. I already have a lot of the revision done from my previous half-hearted attempts – the index cards and scene sentences are all done, as are the character motivations.
My leverage — WHY I need to do this: I’ve over-promised and under-delivered to my readers for far too long. I need to be professional. I want my readers’ trust. I can work hard when enough is at stake. I’ve done it before – just not in this tight a time frame. I’ve spent a lot of money on courses and books since 2015, and it is time to put some money back into the household. That has no hope of happening until I have a back list.
Goal 2: Create a FREE novella
(series prequel) for my readers
- My reachable deadline is: 27th August 2019 (link needs to be included in back matter of Dragon Sworn)
- My working days are: I will work most days on this project from 1st July.
- My method of measuring progress: Keeping track with the ‘Daily Writing Target’ printout from yWriter5. Once drafted, I will print out the ‘Project Work Schedule’ which will keep me on track through revision and editing.
- My end goal: Reward the patient readers on my list. Have a Reader Magnet for new newsletter signups.
- My daily goal, and number of available days: Drafting 45000 words will require 4 x 10m sprints over 32 days starting 1st July. I’ll have most of August to polish it, and trim to 40000 words.
- My leverage — WHY I need to do this: I don’t want to keep giving away Taniel: A Corrangorachian Fantasy. I want to reward the readers who have stayed with me during the last two years.
I won’t stop writing this time. Come 28th August. I’ll start drafting Cladessa for a December release. Hopefully, I’ll have paperbacks organised by then, too.
Thanks for reading. I’ll leave you with another picture of the lorikeets, taken a couple of days ago with my Nikon D3000. After some lunch, I’ll get to work.
Cute, aren’t they!
*Affiliate Link contained in Goal No 1.