Blog, Revision progress

Done!

Yes, folks, the revision is done.

Now – the proofread. Last time I attempted a simple proofing, it turned into a second line edit, followed by a second type-in for each scene. The original 85,000+ words is now just under 82,000.

Gosh, it is a relief to actually feel like it is really well and truly done this time!

Publishing eBook at Amazon on 13 April 2017

Drafting Cladessa (Book 2) on Wattpad

Standard
Blog, Revision progress

Less than 15,000 words to go…

Hello people, I have less than 15,000 words of Taniel to process, now – still typing in changes from that final line-edit I did on the printed manuscript. Microsoft Sam continues to read to me to improve clarity.  The original 85,000+ words has dwindled somewhat!

All is well.

I am uploading each revised scene to Wattpad as I go.  I love my Wattpad experience and will get more readers while I’m drafting Cladessa if Book One is available in its entirety.  So, I will not be going exclusive with Amazon as I have mooted from time to time.

Thanks for being part of my journey to this point.  🙂

 

 

Standard
Blog, Revision progress

Doing another line edit!

Oh gosh, I really am doing another line edit. Remember I said, while checking my eBook for formatting, I discovered a word was missing? Once I investigated the text, I discovered more errors. I thought I had been careful whilst making my text changes and was saving the final read through for after I had sent the eBook to my Kindle App – naively expecting to pick up a dozen errors or less. Apparently, my type-in was not careful enough.

I blame Word – or, more precisely, my ignorance of Word. Over the four or whatever years I’ve been writing The Taverner’s Daughter, I have used yWriter5 and Scrivener software – with a brief foray into Liquid Story Binder. I’ve never used Word for writing until I typed in my handwritten changes after my final round of revision.

I used Word because it was the document type  I had compiled from Scrivener for printing out the manuscript. Seemed logical to use that same document to make the changes. I also thought it would save me time copy and pasting back and forward from Scrivener when it came time to do my grammar check.

Never again!

I think I might have used auto-correct. Also, when I was trying to get the cursor in the right place, I must have been deleting words elsewhere on the screen. I don’t know. I do know my original document before revision probably only had a handful of errors.  All of them were noted in my notes during the first revision pass.

I also used the ‘find and replace’ feature several times and one of those made 118 changes. I changed dragonrider to two words and then back again! And, at some stage, I ended up with a ‘compatibility’ document which, upon saving, warned that it ‘might cause formatting changes’. I still have no idea what that was about and if it did have detrimental results.

The damage is done. I had already copy and pasted all 100+ scenes into my Scrivener file before I realised that I had a problem.

Anyway, I’m halfway through the manuscript with my red pencil.  I had a couple of days were I was incapable of dealing with it. Couldn’t get my head-space right as I was so pissed off with myself for not having Taniel  ready on time.

So, another day or so of proofing, and then typing in, and then formatting the eBook – around work and a birthday party. I’ll give myself a few days to read it through  and then another few to make any necessary corrections to text and format.

I reckon I can put this baby to bed on March 5th!

the-inn-keepers-daughter350

I messed about in Canva and made a brighter cover. I had to put a border around it as the bottom right corner looked odd – like the image was chopped away.

Okay, I better get back to this proofreading! Thanks for reading.

🙂

Standard
Revision progress

Taniel: progress & a new release date

smalltan4ptThis week, the revision progress hit a snag when I discovered the reasoning behind my Corrangorachian world is underdone. The level of enrichment I want means more work on culture, language and the rules of magic. I need to have it right in this first novel if I’m to avoid a second edition. I need ample time for proper proofreading.

To this end, I’m delaying the release until 18th February 2017.  I was going to wait another week, to see how I go, but a fifth person has ordered  – prompting me to change it now.

I look forward to a terrific book launch for my 62nd birthday!

Standard